Swan House was built in 1928 for Edward and Emily Inman in Atlanta, Georgia. The Inmans had accumulated wealth from cotton brokerage and investments on transportation, banking, and real estate. After their house in Ansley Park burned in 1924, the Inmans commissioned the Atlanta architectural firm of Hentz, Reid, and Adler to design a new house in on 28 acres in Buckhead, a northern Atlanta neighborhood.
The new mansion’s design was executed by Philip Trammell Shutze, combining Renaissance revival styles with a Classical approach on the main facade. The rear facade is less formal and is sited at the top of a small hill with terraced gardens and a fountain cascading down the hillside. A recurring motif is sculpted or painted swans throughout the house and grounds.
Edward Inman died in 1931, but Emily collected her family into the house and lived there until 1965. The house and grounds were acquired by the Atlanta Historical Society in 1966. The house is operated as part of the Atlanta History Center and is maintained as the 1920s and 1930s historic house museum, with many of the Inmans’ original furnishings.